30 May 2008

A funny thing happened this week

Wait. This is me we're talking about here. LOTS of funny things happened this week. LOTS of funny things happen every week.

But, this thing in particular? Quite odd. Quite unexpected.

For the first time in recent memory, I haven't hated Austin.

Now, before we jump to conclusions, I'm speaking in generalities here. My relationship with this city as a whole is as complex as my relationship to many residents of the city. Hate is certainly a strong word that isn't wholly representative of my feelings toward the entire city.

To be sure, 2008 Austin is not the city I fell in love with. And, for the longest time, I have felt suffocated by it. Trapped. Stifled.

However, as I streak up to escape velocity, I sure feel less stifled. And that's a good thing. Now I can just sit back and enjoy a bunch of Lone Star, brisket and tacos.

No comments: