21 April 2008

Broken back to the ceiling

I don't remember much from High School. I certainly don't remember much I learned. Because I went to the cruddiest high school imaginable. That I can form complete sentences is nothing short of amazing. Tantamount to the monkeys in the opening scene from 2oo1 cranking out MacBeth on a typewriter.

Anyway, one of the very few things I do remember came from Mr. Perkins' senior physics class. We studied waves a lot. Probably because they were cheap. And I remember learning about wave amplification. As demonstrated so powerfully here:



This was all I could think about Saturday night. I was out with a bunch of friends. There was drinking. I remember looking around the room at one point. From one to another. To another. To another. And thinking about all the intertwined plotlines and drama and bullshit.

For the longest time, my friends had been the bright, shining spot of living in Austin. And, I was struck Saturday night with just a bunch of sadness at what it has all become. Lines sectioning off people. Barriers. Segregation.

Waves bouncing off of waves. Waves of conflict. Waves of drama. Waves of jealousy. Waves of selfishness. Waves of envy. Amplifying. Growing. Destroying.

And, so it's not everyone and it's not everything. And it was a bad night for everyone, I guess. Sure. But I'm done. I'm just done.

Broken back. Broken bridge. Broken desire to call this home any longer.

No comments: